I just started this blog a couple of weeks ago. I am a food enthusiast. I want to share my thoughts, and I welcome yours’. Please feel free to comment on the food I write about or the blog itself. I want to make this blog as user-friendly and enjoyable as possible.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Toro - 3/4/2010

Went to Toro today for lunch.

Relaxed atmosphere. The dinning room is casual, with a couple of large high top tables in the middle (presumably for sharing) with stools. There are also individual low top tables available. Above the bar there is a big chalkboard that lists the drink specials.

The staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the food.

Generally I thought all the food was very good. On the one hand the food was straight forward and not overly complicated, yet it still had interesting flavor combinations.

Maíz Asado con Alioli y Queso Cotija - I loved this dish. It is the house special grilled corn with alioli, lime, espelette pepper and aged cheese. The corn was perfectly grilled so the kernels were lightly charred, firm yet tender, and bursting with flavor. The alioli with the pepper gave the corn a nice kick, and the lime was perfect the note of citrus to go with this combination.

Anna’s Empanadas - While it was not bad, I was a little disappointed with this dish. The texture of the empanada shell was nice and crisp, and the filling had a pillowy soft texture that complimented the exterior well. But ultimately I felt let down by the flavor of this dish. It just was missing something. It could have used more seasoning of some kind. Possibly more salt and some spice. The dish came plated with a sauce, but it did not add much flavor. Also I would have like a little more chicken in the filling.

Ensalada Cortada - This was a good chopped salad. There was nothing extraordinary about about this salad, but it was good for what it was without trying to do too much. It was appropriately dressed, and the olives and cornichons added a nice salty dimension. Also it was larger than I expected at a tapas restaurant, as it was easily enough for two people who were sharing other dishes.

Milanesa Bocadillo - I really enjoyed this sandwich. The chicken was breaded and fried, making it crispy but not greasy. The avocado and Oaxaca cheese added a nice creaminess, and the chipotle mayo gave it some spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment